Please be aware that in the event of a significant number of applicants, the position may be temporarily removed from the website until we can thoroughly evaluate each application. If we are unable to identify the ideal candidate from the initial pool, we will repost the role online.Thank you!
APPLICATION DEADLINE - 17TH OF NOVEMBER 12:00 CEST
We are looking for a Software Engineer (all genders) with a focus on frontend software development to join us remotely or in our office in Berlin. We are growing and need support in our team’s mission to engage our users and make more people climate-active!
As an engineer at Ecosia, you will work with a cross-functional team to contribute to the acquisition and retention of users by delivering new product features for our web application and/or browser extensions. Day-to-day, you will dive deep into our frontend tech stack, solving problems from the user interface to the server side of our applications.
Do you want to become part of a fun team, shape a product used by millions of users daily, and help regenerate our ecosystem? Join us!
Your Opportunity to Make an Impact
- Build, test, and deploy the frontend user experience of Ecosia (client and server-side).
- Contribute to the development of new features in our cross-functional product team.
- Support your team members in backend-focused work-streams, if you are interested.
- Advance our engineering practices for frontend within your areas of interest
- Share what you know and empower your peers to gain deeper technical knowledge.
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values and ways of working.
Your Areas of Knowledge and Expertise
- You are eager to dive deep technically, learn and apply best practices, and grow professionally.
- You like to work collaboratively with Product and other engineers.
- You care about improving accessibility for disabled people in products
- You care about the impact web performance has on the user
- You can communicate well written and verbally in English (German not required).
Nice to have:
- You have experience building browser extensions.
- You have basic backend knowledge.
The Hiring Process
Our hiring process consists of 5 steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- A “take-home” technical assignment
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
- Pair programming session extending the previous assignment
- Final, non-technical interview
By default, all steps are done remotely, but on-sites can be arranged.
About our technology stack
- Backend: Node.js, Go-lang or Python services using REST and gRPC
- Infrastructure: Cloudflare, AWS, Kubernetes (EKS), and Terraform
- Tooling: Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring, GitHub and CircleCI for our CI/CD
We don’t expect you to have experience with all of the above but if you’re curious to learn and pair across these technologies this could be a good match!
The salary range for the role
A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience within these ranges:
€63,100 - €76,500
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
- What if your job made a real difference in the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and help plant millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), designated Focus Times, remote work options) (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- Moving to Berlin for the first time? We welcome everyone and offer relocation support and visa/work permit assistance to new employees and their loved ones coming from abroad and within Germany (applicable for unlimited contracts).
- We are a team of more than 30 nationalities, including people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents, and non-traditional backgrounds.
- We help you live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, etc., depending on your location (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, a 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc. (not applicable to freelance contracts).
How many people work at Ecosia?
113 (November 2023) - our departments include Engineering (incl. Platform), Product (incl. Design & BI), Marketing, Trees, Operations, and People and Culture.
Where is Ecosia based and is it remote friendly?
We are a remote-friendly company with one office in Berlin-Wedding.
Compensation Range: €63K - €76K