What we're looking for
Laterpay is looking for a mid-level or higher Frontend Engineer to join our fully distributed tech team full time. You’ll work on various frontend applications, building new features, as well as maintaining and fixing existing code.
We’ve been a fully distributed organization for almost 10 years, and we’re pretty proud of the supportive remote culture we’ve created and fine tuned over the years. We use Slack as our office, Jira for transparency and organizing work, and video calls for real-time collaboration (and just to hang out face to face).
Our current Frontend stack is:
- React, Emotion (for CSS in React), React Query (for API calls)
- We usually go with create-react-app boilerplate when starting the dev on our apps
- We manage state using Redux and react-sweet-state
We’re looking to hire someone at mid-level or higher. If you are interested in the role and have mid-level or higher experience, but don’t meet all of the criteria listed below, please apply anyway. We understand that growth is continuous and we are committed to helping you grow at Laterpay.
We would expect the ideal candidate to:
- Translate ideas into projects with discrete tasks.
- Give guidance & unblock others on their team/area.
- Be sought out by others as a technical resource.
- Seek design, architecture or specialized input when needed (and know when it’s needed).
- Make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs.
- Communicate with non-technical team members to understand needs and give technical advice.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working within a cross functional team including a Product manager, UX designer and Backend developers to understand the requirements and scope that drive the design of technical solutions.
- Writing reusable components and associated styling.
- Writing unit and integration tests.
- Setting up and managing appropriate tooling.
- Assisting with documentation of new features, contributing to the documentation of existing ones.
- Finding and addressing performance issues throughout the application.
- Helping to identify and fix front-end bugs and issues.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Experience with React, state management libraries (such as Redux), and Webpack:
- It is very important that you are able to hit the ground running with our existing React-based UIs.
- Experience with or exposure to some other tools which exist in our projects: TypeScript, React MUI, Emotion, Storybook and Python (useful, but not strictly required.)
- Experience with E2E testing, visual testing and unit testing in React codebases.
- A solid surface/contextual-level understanding of “the full web stack”.
- A good command of English: written and verbal, producing and understanding.
- As a distributed team, we primarily communicate via Slack, so the ability to clearly and completely communicate in written English is vital.
- We also frequently hop on calls, both audio and video, so the ability to clearly speak and understand English is also vital.
How we work
LaterPay is a team of 20 people spread over 13 countries in time zones from UTC-8 to UTC 2. Since our founding, we have been remote first (though we have offices in Munich and in New York).
We care more about the things you do than whether you’re at your desk at 9am every day. That said, most of us work Monday - Friday from 7ish UTC to 4ish UTC, and ideally you’ll overlap at least 4 hours with that. We try to be as asynchronous as possible, but still feel that we need some “synchronicity” to work well.
Our values are:
- Be fearless. Be entrepreneurial.
- Simplify things.
- Own your decisions. Your successes. Your mistakes.
- Enjoy diversity and inclusion.
- Work as a team. Trust each other.
Check out our Behind the scenes blog for more insight on how we work.
- Building a remote culture: 5 lessons learned
- How to be new at Laterpay
- AllHands (biannual team event)
- Annual training and personal development budget
- Paid sick leave
- Paid time off
- Distributed, international team
- Flexible work
- Company laptop
If this sounds interesting, please apply here:
- Upload your CV.
- Let us know in your cover letter how working with us leverages your past experiences or connects with your future goals.
Our preference goes to applications with cover letters. Read a thing about why here.
We will be accepting applications until March 28th.
We’ll spend time reviewing applications until April 8th -- No need to check in with us if you don’t hear anything back from us during this time!
Up to €75k / year, negotiable based on experience level.